The Sports Business program provides students with the skills and business background to pursue careers with companies and firms that specialize in sports marketing and promotion, marketing research, client relations, and the business aspect of sports. This program has been developed to provide a premier business school education with a focus on professional sports to help you make the jump from college to the pros.
The Sports Business program offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes courses in sports marketing research, sports economics, sales, and event marketing. Professors teaching in the program have extensive experience with the sports industry through interaction with current executives, conducting research, and/or prior work history. These industry connections benefit students as they learn about current market trends, meet guest speakers that help in connecting the course content with real-world applications, and search for an internship in a professional sports setting.
View the BBA in Sports Business Program Profile
As the sports industry grows, the demand for job candidates interested in professional sports careers that also have business acumen is surging. Professional teams may receive hundreds of applications for an open position, yet few applicants will have a degree from a top business school and even fewer with a specialized degree in Sports Business. Earning a respected degree from Mercer University – a nationally recognized and accredited institution – will give you the edge that you need to stand out in the job market.
As a Sports Business major, you will take specialized business courses to prepare for interviews with professional teams and other sports industry organizations in the areas of ticket sales, sponsorship sales and activation, facility operations, event management, and community relations. Individuals who successfully earn the bachelor of business administration degree with a major in Sports Business can go on to work in areas including sports marketing, sponsorship and sales, event marketing, ticket sales and promotions, and sports marketing research.
Students will have access to network with members of the Sports Business Advisory Board, which is comprised of key personnel of prominent teams and organizations. Board members are committed to interview students for internships and entry-level positions during the annual Sports Business Combine and help develop students through class projects, classroom visits, and hosting the Sports Business Club at their location. Sports Business Advisory Board members include:
- Jason Capel – Vice President, Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment
- Amanda Dinkel – Community Relations Manager, Atlanta Falcons
- Rebecca Duensing – East Central Marketing Manager, WME IMG Live Events
- Michael Farris – Director of Strategic Consulting and Research, The Aspire Group
- Allison Fillmore – Vice President of Sales, Atlanta Motor Speedway
- Eddie Gonzalez – Chief Business Officer and Tournament Director, BB&T Atlanta Open
- Ryan Gottlieb – Director of Sales and Service, The Aspire Group-Georgia Tech
- Jonathan Griffith – President, Studer Entertainment and Retail
- Shea Jury – Marketing Coordinator, Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment
- Barbara Osborne – General Manager, Florence Red Wolves
- Warren Parr – Director of Ticket Sales, Atlanta Falcons
- Eric Platte – Senior Director of Ticket Sales, Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club
- Richard Thornton – Senior Manager of Ticket Sales, Atlanta Braves
- CJ Wiatr – Regional Vice President of Fan Relationship Management, The Aspire Group