Innovation Master of Business Administration
Innovation is the ultimate source of business change and profit. Without it, there is no development or progress according to economist Joseph Schumpeter. Mercer’s Weekend Innovation MBA, which is completed in one academic year, provides graduate business students with a foundation in essential business disciplines (economics, marketing, finance, management, accounting, and law and ethics) as well as a series of specialized courses in business innovation. The innovation curriculum includes idea and product generation, supply chain management, negotiation, and the launch of a new project. All classes are taught at the business school on the Macon campus on Friday afternoons and Saturdays.
The degree, implemented in 2017-2018, evolved from Mercer’s weekend cohort MBA program for employees of the Warner Robins Air Force Base. The first cohort in that program, consisting primarily of engineers, graduated in 2012. The present emphasis on innovation reflects a renewed cooperation between Mercer’s business school and the Air Force to develop “intrapreneurs” on base. Acquisition-coded employees at RAFB-ALC can qualify for tuition assistance for the Mercer Innovation MBA.
The innovation degree also reflects the business school’s wider aim of facilitating the work of entrepreneurs in Middle Georgia and beyond. The program allows innovators to earn an AACSB-International –accredited graduate business degree as well as connect with other local business leaders. As part of Mercer’s commitment to economic development in the region, Innovation MBA students also have access to the resources of the University’s Innovation Center. Altogether, the Mercer Innovation MBA in Macon offers a unique opportunity for students to combine academics, work, and community.
The curriculum of the Macon Weekend Innovation Master of Business Administration Program consists of three required foundational prerequisites plus twelve MBA-level courses:
1. Before enrolling in MBA-level courses, the student must complete three prerequisite courses in economics, statistics, and finance and accounting. This ensures that the student is fully prepared to enter into and succeed in the program. One or more of these courses may be waived with appropriate prior college or university courses. Further details are provided in the MBA section of the current Mercer University Macon Catalog.
2. The remainder of the program consists of twelve three-credit-hour MBA-level courses. The first set of courses provide a thorough grounding in the essential disciplines of business: accounting, finance, economics, marketing, management, and business law and ethics. The second set of courses focus on innovation skills and concepts: idea generation/new product development; negotiation and leadership; and project launch. A complete description of each course is provided in the current Mercer University Macon Catalog. A “check sheet” listing the courses is available here.
Submit each of the following items to complete your application:
1. Online Application for Admission
Begin application now >
2. Transcripts from All Previously Attended Institutions of Higher Education
Official transcripts from every college or university previously attended regardless of length of enrollment (including undergraduate, graduate, summer school, and study abroad coursework) must be sent to the Macon MBA Admissions Office. Mercer University graduates can apply for a transcript here.
3. Official GMAT or GRE Test Score
Applicants, unless exempted in the limited circumstances described below, must take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), submit an official score to the Macon MBA Office, and achieve a qualifying score. Only scores earned within the five years prior to admission will be considered.
Applicants may waive the GMAT/GRE requirement if:
a. The applicant is a qualifying WR-ALC acquisition-coded employee; OR
b. The applicant has already earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an equivalent international graduate degree; OR
c. The applicant qualifies for admission to the Innovation MBA Program under the business school’s Special Consideration Program (SCP). The SCP is only for applicants who have received an undergraduate degree from Mercer University. Further details about the SCP are provided in the MBA section of the current Mercer University Macon Catalog.
School of Business applicants for Fall 2020 may be admitted without submitting test scores if they meet other admissions requirements.
4. $50 Non-refundable Application Fee ($100 for International Applicants)
An applicant must submit the required application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to Mercer University. Do not send cash. The application fee is non-refundable and does not apply toward tuition or fees.
The School of Business is waiving application fees at this time.
All transcripts, test scores, payments, and questions about the admissions process to the Macon Evening Program should be directed to:
Director of Graduate Admissions
Stetson-Hatcher School of Business
250 Stetson Hall
1501 Mercer University Drive
Macon, Georgia 31207
Ready to take the next step? Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment >